Disclaimer

All opinions and views stated on this site belong solely to Corina Lynn Becker, and do not represent or reflects the views and opinions of any organizations, unless otherwise specified.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Neurodiversity flamer part 1

originally posted here Neurodiversity flamer on June 26, 2009.


Also, I would like to note, this is the first of two emails I received from this... man, both of which I linked to on WrongPlanet. A woman describing herself as low-functioning autistic commented that she was utterly disgusted, insulted and offended that this man has attempted to speak on her behalf about things he knows nothing about. So there you go, Neurodiversity isn't just "high functioning" autistics


Current mood: curious

Neurodiversity flamer
I was going through my inbox today, cleaning up the mass of emails from... 5 different accounts. And I found this flame:



[start troll]

I saw that video that you put up recently with the ridiculous thoughts in it. I don't trust anyone who tells not to focus on negative aspects. Where do you get off saying "us" and "we" like you represent all autistics when expressing your views? There is no refuting that the vast majority of your "movement" is by HFAs and aspies. Who the hell else would argue against measures that would increase mental ability, other than those who already have lots of it and want to keep their own from being distributed to others? Especially considering a lot of the super HFA have such higher aptitude than the average person. So I don't wonder what you're holding on to. I hate that selfishness.

Just cause some of you grew from LFAs to be HFAs doesn't mean growing up will solve enough of the impairments or that all on the spectrum will be that lucky. Don't pretend it's a childhood condition. Don't you dare ignore the many severely impaired adults who are chained into dependence and huge deficits of ability. Supports, accommodations, positive attitudes, and all that sappy shit, won't enable many highly impaired autistics to sufficiently communicate or contribute to society. The problem of lack of capability to learn needs to be stopped.

I'm disgusted at you for complaining about low/high functioning labels. I detest that attempt to ignore the unfair vile reality. I loathe the idea that some would pretend things could be just and equitable, while LFAs are tied to incapability, dependence, and deprivation from many activities, while so many HFAs have the world by the balls, getting the choice of many things to do and accomplishing all kinds of things through academic and employment endeavors. I loathe the lies and phony perceptions that come out of lack of comparing one person to another. It's not harmful to self-esteem. The reality of being low-functioning hurts self-esteem. No lie and patronization will cover that up. Nobody is nuts enough to think that comparing themselves to others is needless. There should be no developing and growing separately. It should be done together.

Competition and its motivation will not stop until the conditions that make it necessary stop, which are the unequal and private distribution of mental capacity. It's not about competing to be worth anything. It's not enough that all are worth the same. I don't think you smart poindexter creeps are worth more. Your abilities are worth a lot for use but the individuals themselves who have them aren't extra worthwhile for inheriting them through conditions that were out of their control, that they didn't work to get. Being worth something doesn't stop the pain that comes from being deprived of the dignity of independence and having basic skills, and from seeing all the goodies and privileges of high intellectual ability go to someone else. Having someone remind one of having value isn't going to stop the vile way it feels to have to be dependent on others, and be inevitably precluded from many activities others get to do.

Why should those MANY low-functioning indivduals put up with your bullshit, trying so hard with lots of exertion to do/learn basic tasks, while not even succeeding in learning/doing all of them enough of the time, with minimal hope of doing a lot besides that, while the super high-functioning end up having to put hardly any effort at all into basic tasks and get to have an easy time working on intellectual pursuits and other abilities? If those LFA were to have more abiilties brought to them, besides what little they may get as they grow up and develop, think of how much total accomplishment would go up for the spectrum as a whole. Think of how much more time they would and could use to work on tasks/learning and how much more they could come up with using that time, if they had a much better chance at getting ahead with such things, if they could appropriate a large deal more in proportion to their exertion.

I want the future to deal with the uneven distribution of ability within the spectrum to make it equal. I want the determinants of cognitive functioning to be identified to distinguish which ones cause low-functionality and which ones cause the huge mental gifts of high-functionality. I want there to be a cure rigorously pursued to make it possible to alter the aspects of individuals' brains that determine functioning level/ability, using methods to augment mental capacity, using the determinants of functioning that cause high mental capacity in some, and ridding aspects of brains that are known to decrease mental capacity. That's what I'd like to see happen to make everyone on the spectrum have sufficient ability. I don't think all involved in the issue agree on what the definition of cure is. But bashing cure outright isn't acceptable and it isn't honest either.

Cure isn't about eliminating a group of individuals, or about "intolerance" of diversity, or making someone a different person. I refuse to sit back while you all try to obfuscate the issue with those concerns. I don't see how it can't be obvious that guaranteeing ability is what is mostly intended about cure by most involved in the issue.. I don't hope to leave any doubt that I indulge in my own extreme envy against many who are smarter/extra capable than me and that I endorse and don't disapprove of such sentiment. I'm someone who is severely mentally impaired myself, so I have an intense hate for the subjugation that the people you defend bring on those who are on the bottom of the hierarchy to keep them down.


[end troll]


What's interesting is that this email, from a "Billy" at yahoo.com, sounds very much like a previous troll I've had. Anyone else remember nutsndoltz?

Edit: oh hey, looks like this guy has popped up on left brain/right brain. He goes by the username "kyngdingxx"

Here's something a little more concerning. This email was sent directly to my Zika_Silver email. I don't post that email as contact information. The only place he could have gotten it is fanfiction.net, cause I haven't updated my account too often there. But in order to get that information, he would have to have an account there too. It's a lot easier to follow my links and whatnot to email me, but then, those would have shown up in one of my nekonobaka emails.

So where did he get my email? puzzle puzzle, ponder ponder

2 comments:

  1. You've been found by Lurker. Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lurker? that's his nickname? heh, I feel proud now, like I've been validated.

    oooh, there's a club? Awesome! Do we have a secret handshake, or a secret decoder ring? :D

    ReplyDelete

Remember the Code of Conduct: Be polite, Keep on topic and no spamming please!